The Construction Products Regulation (CPR) for Cables comes into force on 1st of July 2017: Reka Cables has been preparing for the new legislation so that our products are tested and marked in the way that regulations demands.
EN 50575 is a harmonized European standard for cables in construction works subject to reaction to fire requirements under the European Construction Products Regulation. This new European standard will change fire performance requirements for cabling being installed in buildings.
- The standard covers power, control and communication cables for general applications in construction works subject to reaction to fire requirements. It doesn’t cover fire-resistant cables and some other special cables which will have own regulation later.
- The standard will directly affect all those involved in the supply, procurement and installation of telecommunications cabling with radical changes on how cables must be specified with respect to their reaction to fire.
- Fire performance testing must be carried out in independent accredited testing laboratory.
- The cables will be tested for energy content, spread of fire, smoke, acidity, heat emission and droplet formation (burning drops of plastic that spread fire).
- Each country decides the fire class level that a installation needs to follow.
- There are seven new fire classes: Aca, B1ca, B2ca, Cca, Dca, Eca, and Fca. The Aca class applies to non-flammable products such as cables with ceramic insulation. B1ca represents the top class of flammable cables. B2ca and Cca correspond to cables with some degree of spread of fire. Dca corresponds to fire properties like those of normal wood, and Eca is made up of cables that are flame-retardant for small flames but which do not have specified heat and smoke production levels. Fca means that no fire properties have been determined.
- Manufacturers must place the CE Mark on the labels on cable drums and boxes. CE labeling tells also the cables fire performance and the number of the Declaration of Performance.
- The Declaration of Performance (DoP) delivers information on the performance of a product. It must be available to customers on their own language.
- Many countries still work their decisions how this new regulation and its fire classes are going to dispensed on national regulation of electrical installations.
- From 1st of July 2017 manufactures must comply with new regulations and deliver required information when new products are placed on market.
- Wholesalers can sell and electrician use old products from their stocks.